I was recently released as the Relief Society President for our ward after serving for a little over 2 years. The moment was bittersweet. At one time I thought I'd give anything to be released.
I spent hours
- on the phone
- driving all over creation
- counseling sisters
- filling out food order forms
- pacing the floors of my home
- crying
- worrying.
Looking back, I can now see that I also spent hours
- praying
- relying on the Spirit
- listening
- learning
- growing
- serving.
I had the privilege of serving alongside my Dad, who is our Bishop. I broke down in tears a few hours after my release when it hit me what a unique opportunity I had. I got to see my Dad in a different light; possessing a mantle that few men ever experience. I have a deeper respect and love for my Dad than I had before. And how many Relief Society presidents get to hug the Bishop?? That was always my Dad's line at any stake meeting we attended together.
When I was called to serve, I seriously freaked out. Ask anyone. I mean I
freaked out. I remember my mother-in-law telling me that it was her favorite calling ever. I thought she was insane. But, now that my service is over, I think I agree. I loved the way I was stretched and strengthened and I wouldn't trade the last two years for anything.
2 comments:
What a great opportunity you've had. I'm sure one that will have an effect forever.
You have been amazing to serve with. I've learned more than I can ever tell you in our short time serving together. Now we're on to new adventures. May we continue to improve, stretch and serve successfully. Your forever friend, Becky.
Post a Comment