Since Mark and I are moving soon, I've been reflecting on our time in Trussville, AL. I have absolutely loved it here! When we moved here, Celeste was barely 1 and now she's about to turn 6! The other night I was thinking about our family, friends, and church service and I started feeling emotional. I felt so much gratitude for all that I've experienced here and even though I'm excited for this new adventure, I started feeling sad. I kept feeling that I'm not ready for this to end! I'm not ready to leave so much behind. I sat in my bed and cried.
Then, it occurred to me that this must be the kind of feelings we have when we're about to die. I've always wondered why an old person who is in pain and clearly suffering continues to hold on. And I can imagine that dying might be a very hard step to take. This time on Earth is what we were looking forward to for so long. We live every day and enjoy so many experiences. This is familiar. It's what we know and love. I can imagine thinking, "Wait! I'm not done yet! I have more to do!" It could be a panicky feeling, even though we know something better awaits us.
So, I want to be more committed to seizing the day. When it is my time to leave this Earth, I want to look back and feel happy. I want to breathe a peaceful sigh and feel ready to embrace my future.
I've loved it here in small-town Trussville. I love eating Sunday dinner at my parents' house. I love my neighbors, the elementary school, my church friends, my bunco buddies, and having a sister I can hang out with and depend on. I love the GREEN here and that we are only a few hours from the ocean. I love that my kids can take swim lessons from the Red Cross for only $3 each. I love that a dear friend shares her pool with us every summer. We spend about 5 days a week there! I love the attitude of the South! The other day I saw a guy on a Harley wearing a black leather jacket with an American flag on the back. Underneath the flag were the words: "I'd like to see you try and burn this flag." I love that! There are so many, MANY things I am grateful for- I can't begin to list them all. I am sad to leave Alabama behind, but I'm looking forward to our move to Salt Lake and I plan to embrace all that Utah has to offer.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





5 comments:
I agree that moving is such a huge life change. Especially since it is to such a different part of the country. I hope that this transition goes well for you and your family!
We have been so out of touch!! I had no idea you guys were moving! You need to write me and give me all the details!
Great post!
Moving to Salt Lake??? WOW - when are you moving? We are moving too!! In two weeks after the baby is born! I love your post about the walls - I was taught not to touch them too! But my walls are COVERED! I decided to let the people that bought our house deal with it - surely they saw it when they walked through twice!! Miss you Melyssa!
Great insight, Melyssa. I've never really thought about the end of life quite like that, but I bet you're totally right. I would think it would be a panicky feeling especially because it's a big move/journey that you have to take on your own, not with your family.
Sounds like Alabama has been a wonderful place for your family. I'm sad that we never got to visit there. I probably won't ever have an excuse to go there again. But, of course, I couldn't be happier that you're moving to our neck of the woods!! :)
Post a Comment