Yesterday I asked Celeste to put away her rest mat (for naps in Kindergarten) and she put her hand on her hip and forcefully announced, " I am NOT using that rest mat anymore. It has STARS on it and NO ONE has a rest mat with stars. I am NOT using that thing. I HATE it!"
So, I calmly reasoned, "Celeste. You only have 3 more weeks of school. I'm not buying you another rest mat. You can use this one until school is out."
She wouldn't hear of it. "But, MOMMMMMM! What if I have to REPEAT Kindergarten? What, then???? I am NOT using that rest mat for another year!!!!! I HATE that rest mat!!!!!"
So, I asked her, "Celeste, do you really think you're going to repeat Kindergarten? Do you WANT to repeat Kindergarten?"
Her response: "Well, if I do repeat Kindergarten, at least I won't cry on the first day again!"
And then she went on to talk about how she used to cry in Kindergarten and the rest mat issue was forgotten.
Problems are so easily solved when dealing with a 5-yr-old.
But, I can just imagine how a similar conversation might play out in a few years:
While stomping her foot and FREAKING out, Celeste screams, "I am NOT wearing Heidi's prom dress! She wore it LAST year! NO ONE wears dresses with sequins anymore! I HATE that dress!!!!"
I calmly respond, "Celeste. You're only going to wear the dress one time. You and Heidi look very different. No one will ever notice. We'll find you a new necklace to wear with it. I'm not buying another prom dress that will only be worn one night! "
And, from there I'm sure it will just get UGLY!
So, I will treasure these 5-yr-old "crises" while I still can!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





2 comments:
Excellent! I LOVE that you are SO calm. We need to hang out more. Blasted Tennessee, it gets between us. :o)
Trust me, I'm not always calm. I'm sure one day I'll post a story about my wicked ways! ;)
Post a Comment