My midwife wants me eating 80 grams of protein a day! She emphasized the importance of protein during this last trimester-- it is really one of the main building blocks for the twins. Well, 80 grams is a TON of protein. So, I've been trying to figure out creative ways to get more of it. And because of that, I've seriously perfected the protein smoothie. Here's my new and improved recipe:
8 oz milk (9 g protein)
1 scoop Syntha-6 vanilla ice cream protein powder (23 g protein)
1/8-1/4 cup lemonade concentrate
2 cups frozen fruit (strawberries or cherries are my favs!)
Blend until smooth.
The lemonade gives it a little zing and extra sweetness. It is sooooo good and I'm getting 31 grams of protein! Almost half of what I need! Plus, this is whey protein instead of soy. I get soy protein in my breakfast cereal (Kashi) and I really don't want to overdo on the soy.
My midwife has also encouraged me to drink water with electrolytes added because the electrolytes help with kidney function. Since I have two babies whose waste is filtering through my kidneys, it's important to keep my kidneys working well. So, I've been drinking Smart Water and now the water from the tap tastes BLECH to me! I LOOOOVVVEEE my Smart Water. It's not cheap, so I'm going to have to get back to drinking regular water once the twins arrive. :(
This has really been a different experience so far! I'm so happy we have two babies on the way!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





0 comments:
Post a Comment