I heard something yesterday that I can't let go. Someone said, "When we hear about terrible things on the news, most of us say, 'Oh, how awful!' and then go back to eating our dinner."
It's true. I've done it. And it makes me wonder if I'm really doing enough for those around me who are mourning and suffering. The recent tornadoes in Alabama have affected me more than other world-wide tragedies. We lived in 'Bama for 5 years and loved it and its people. As I've heard story after story of the horrible loss of homes and loved ones, I feel helpless and sad. I live 2000 miles away. I'm 6 months pregnant. I can only give money and offer up prayers. But, I am so grateful to my family members and friends who are giving of their time and energy. Those who are performing back-breaking labor for strangers. That's what this life is about. Who cares which couple wins on Dancing with the Stars. Does it matter? Why was the Royal Wedding the #1 event talked about, when the tornadoes had destroyed hundreds of homes and broken up hundreds of families only days before? WHO ARE WE? Is this life some kind of big entertainment fest? Do we only care about ourselves and our comforts?
Thank you to the many who do look outside yourselves. Thank you for your service. Shame on you if you could be doing something, but are too addicted to World of Warcraft to leave your bedroom. Shame on you if most of your time is spent shopping for new clothes for yourself. Shame on you if you only "feel bad" but do nothing.
"This life is the time for men to prepare to meet God." Alma 34:32
I admit, I don't always do something. I do get distracted by the mundane. I don't always look outside my little world. But, I need to. I have to if I want to live with my Father in Heaven again one day. How will it be when I report back to Him if I can give synopses of all my favorite tv shows, but can't tell him how my neighbor is doing?
I want to be better. I must.
Mourning with Those that Mourn; Comforting Those that Stand in Need of Comfort
Melyssa | Monday, May 9, 2011 |
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





3 comments:
Amen, sister.
If this had a "like" button at the bottom, I'd push it.
i loved this post.
Post a Comment