I haven't blogged in so long and I've recorded nothing about my pregnancy.
I'm pregnant! 24 weeks! With twins! Both girls!
Mark and I thought our family was complete, but apparently we were wrong! Celeste will be 7 in just a couple of weeks and our lives are easy! Our girls are all independent and entertain themselves. We go on many family adventures: in the sun, rain, and snow! This is all going to change for a while...
So, last November I found out I was pregnant. Initially, I wasn't sure how I felt. I had just started snowboarding and was looking forward to a winter season of thrills. I cried when I found out. I cried because I was selfish and because I felt guilty for my selfishness. My emotions were all over the place. Some days I felt excited about the prospect of another baby and others I thought about all of the sacrifice that comes with an infant. So, I asked Mark for a blessing. I knew I needed to "get over myself" and feel grateful for my pregnancy. Well, the blessing was very humbling and completely changed my attitude for the better. He reminded me that it is a privilege to bear children. And he was right.
I began thinking more positively and looking forward to having another baby. I knew I wanted to birth this one naturally--Celeste was my only natural delivery and was so much better than my other two deliveries-- and Mark and I thought it would be neat to deliver this baby in the comforts of our own home. So, I set up an appointment with a highly recommended midwife and visited her when I was 10 weeks pregnant. She did an ultrasound and discovered there were 2 babies! I was speechless. I called Mark and he didn't believe me at first! So, the midwife talked to him and confirmed the truth: I was pregnant with twins.
I'd already been sicker than I'd been with my past pregnancies, so the higher HCG levels explained that. We were elated and shocked. We immediately gathered the girls together and told them the news. Their shrieks of delight were heard by our neighbors, I am sure.
I had to find a new midwife because in Utah, it is illegal for Certified Nurse Midwives to deliver twins. Twins are too risky. Whatever. Bogus government interference, if you ask me. My midwife recommended another midwife (who doesn't carry the certified title) and I switched to her. Ironically, she has more experience than my original midwife!
The first half of my pregnancy was fairly difficult. I was sick until about 19 weeks and the varicose veins I had with my last two pregnancies showed back up quite early. Then, things changed a few weeks ago and I feel like I've gotten a second wind. I feel great! I have more energy and I no longer feel sick. I'm sure it's the calm before the storm.
We had an ultrasound around 20 weeks and both babies are growing and developing perfectly. That is also when we discovered that they are both girls. Mark and I shared a good laugh about our having 5 girls and both feel extremely happy and blessed that these two are joining our family.
At this point I've gained about 30 lbs, + or - a few, depending on my water weight for the day. I've always gained about 50 lbs total, so I'm right on schedule!
Contrary to what most people will think, I am looking forward to being pregnant this summer. I will be taking the girls to many activities: tennis & swim lessons, and whatever else I can talk them into/afford. We have a very nice pool with water slides only a half mile from our home and I plan to go there most days and lounge in the water while the girls play. This will be the last time for several months/years that I'll be able to devote a lot of time to my oldest three, so I want us to live it up and enjoy each other. We're all looking forward to D-Day, sometime in August.
So, that's the story of the pregnancy of my 4th and 5th daughters thus far...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





3 comments:
oh melyssa! this blog post made me even more excited for your twins than i already was.
Also, i am glad you are back in the blogging world. i've missed it.
I'm glad you're blogging again...and I'm so happy for you guys!! Enjoy these new blessings!
So exciting. I'm glad I get to be here for this pregnancy since I haven't gotten to see any of your children when they were babies before! I can't wait.
Post a Comment