I've always admired creative people who can walk into a thrift store and find some rare treasure for their home or closet. I'm just not one of them.
For me, they're more aptly named air-conditioned landfills. I've tried again and again to like them, but after years of trying, it still ain't working! Take my most recent trip to the local D.I. Thrift Store for example:
Celeste needed a new bike. Little kid bikes cost anywhere from $50- $150. No joke. So, being frugally minded, I thought I'd try the thrift store. This particular one was very clean and organized. Big plus! Normally it's the chaotic way everything is thrown together that makes me hate them the most. But, this one seemed "nice". That is until I passed a group of shoppers and smelled my first whiff of b.o. Seriously, folks. Soap is cheap. I held my breath and tried to avoid the other dirty-looking people there. I know that sounds pretentious, but there were a lot of them at this particular store. We walked all through the store and never found a bike worth having. I'm not paying $15 for rips and rust. Then, as we headed toward the front on our way out, we walked into a repulsive fart cloud. I know this can happen anywhere, but in my case, it was the proverbial straw that broke the camel's back. We left with me swearing to NEVER go back.
I know that hidden behind the various shelves of junk, there are diamonds in the rough- I've seen the awesome finds my friends discover and I'm envious! But for the most part, I think that thrift stores are filled with thrown-out garbage that environmentally-minded people are trying to recycle.
If you are one of those talented people who can find treasures at the thrift store, I applaud you. You're better than me. I'm sure I'd be envious of your savings.
I did end up finding a bike at Toys-R-Us for Celeste. It was $40 on sale.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





4 comments:
This had me laughing out loud! I read it to Johnny as well!
Oh Melyssa...the mental picture. I have not experienced the yucky people at thrift stores...except for one in North O. I just seem to always leave disappointed. I go with such high hopes only to leave empty handed because I could go buy it brand new for not much more. Seriously...i think most of those stores still want way too much for their stuff. However, I have learned that if there is something I am looking for to tell my Grandma. She finds amazing things...brand new King down comforter for $10.00 to name just one. Her list goes on and on. She goes all the time though so I'm sure that makes a difference too.
(Sorry for such a long comment)
Hahahahahahahahahaha!!! I read it out loud to Greg and just about peed my pants the 2ND time around! Great commentary for those of us not as adept in the thrift-store department.
Oh how I've missed you Melyssa! I am totally with you on being anti thrift store... although it is the best place to find an awesome ugly Christmas sweater!!!
Post a Comment